Friday, September 22, 2017

Today's Mall Crawl and Sunrise on the Mall -- Georgette

Hello!

I learned something today about the NMAAHC: active and retired military, veterans, police officers, and a category or two that I don't remember can enter the museum without a timed pass. You can enter with ID if you fall into any of these categories. I am a veteran, but I didn't have my DD-214 (or discharge paper) as proof and I was lucky that security let me enter anyway. I don't know if the VA offers a general ID for former service members.

It was my first time at the museum and I stayed on the first floor for a few minutes. I thought of y'all outdoors in the heat, so back outside I went. Outdoors, I particularly liked the reflections in the marble-top benches.

.






Sunrise on the Mall! Sunrise on the Mall is great at any time of year. The sun rose this morning at 6:56 a.m. According to AccuWeather, the cloud coverage forecast was 26 percent.

Washington Monument at 6:38 a.m.


WWII Memorial at 6:45 a.m.


WWII Memorial at 6:51 a.m.


Lincoln Memorial at 6:54 a.m.


Outside the Lincoln Memorial at 7:06 a.m.


Lincoln at 7:13 a.m.


Lincoln at 7:18 a.m.


Lincoln at 7:23 a.m. (The light on the rear of the statue is incandescent, but still interesting). 


Washington Monument at 7:32 a.m.


WWII Memorial at 8:07 a.m.








9 comments:

  1. I think the Washington monument at 7.02 am is your best shot , good composition & emotion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barry, Thanks! I will keep that in mind the next time I am out "shooting" on the Mall. Best,

      Delete
  2. I especially like the 6:38 am shot of the monument. Great angle and picks up footlights

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the images of President Lincoln! Particularly image #11 and #13. Image #13 is really cool because even if you do not see President Lincoln you know it is him. The image #9 Lincoln Memorial at 6:54am shows kind of peaceful skies. By 7:32am everything changed, more clouds, more light, the wind is hitting the reflecting pool hard -- it is very well captured by image #14. Image #3 has many things going on--it is backlit looking from the inside to the outside, people clearly talking to each other, reflection of the building on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosalinda, Thank you! I was in good company and that helped to fuel my inspiration. :)

      Delete
  4. my favorite is the WWII memorial at 6:45 AM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia, Thanks! The WWII Memorial has been challenge for me, both at sunrise and after. I am glad you like the photo. :)

      Delete
  5. I especially love 3, 5, 10, and 15. The carved detail you captured on the flanking tripods on either side of Lincoln steps had me looking up information about the artists and carvers, including the brothers who carved the corn, lion, etc. detail. So glad you led the early morning shoot, and glad it was worthwhile for you early 3. The palette of blues, greys and framing in 15 seems to suit WW II memorial.

    ReplyDelete