Saturday, September 16, 2017

Photos From the Mall Crawl and My Journey Home -- Georgette Walsh

Hello everyone,

I have been inspired by the black and white photography posted to this blog. So, my focus for yesterday was twofold. The first was to keep my lines straight and the second was to take a few similar photos in color (neutral) and black and white (monochrome).

I have mentioned before that I have taken one too many photos of DC on a tilt and have yet to find a solution. Yesterday, I think I found it. I took a "selfie" in the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden and realized that I am tilting my head slightly to the right when taking a photo. I suspected that this might be the case (even though it doesn't feel that way) and now I have proof!












I took these photos on my journey home. The Navy Band was playing at the US Navy Memorial. The birds were staying cool in the fountain.




These next two photos were taken in the Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro Station. I may try this same shot again. Only next time, I will stand back a little so as to include people on both the upper and lower platforms in the photo.



A Selfie! This was an epiphany for me. I suspected I was a bit on tilt, but until now, I couldn't prove it. I am posting this to help anyone who may also be having this same dilemma.


I took this photo of the ducks and Lincoln Monument during the golden hour on May 15, 2016 (6:46 a.m.). I thought I did a pretty good job at the time. The line along the reflecting pool is straight, the ducks are upright, and the full reflection of the monument is in the pool. Case in point, President Lincoln is on a tilt. 









14 comments:

  1. Georgette--I like the idea of b&w and color side by side. I have a friend who is working on a book doing just that. Isn't it interesting what looks different, what you see in one that you miss in the other? I especially like the first group of the sculpture. I looked at it a lot, but felt like the sun was too strong. You managed. I especially like how the clock tower shows up in the first one, like a loopy reflection of the stem:). The image of the capitol is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kudos on the first three photos. I can't take all the credit. I applied a filter (slate) to the b&w photo of the sculpture. The filter is part of the photo viewer in this PC's original software package. Because it is a monochrome photo, the filter did not change the overall color, but it did dull the light in the creases. The sun is more visible in the creases in the color photo (no filter). Most of the sun hit the sculpture at about the midpoint, which is why there is not too much excess light in the photo of the top portion only. I did my best and where I came up short, the monochrome filter did the remainder. (I hope this is helpful.)

      B&W photography is interesting. It puts a little calm into an otherwise busy scene. That's a great idea creating a book with B&W photos side by side. And, I am glad you enjoyed the photo of the Capitol! That was a lucky break. I had accidently left my Target bag (with an empty camera case and book) at the Hirshhorn and took the photo while I was hoofing it back across the Mall to retrieve it from Security (yes, they had it!).

      Delete
  2. i think #1.#2 & #3 are the most imaginative , unusual angles & composition

    ReplyDelete
  3. forgot to mention #4 which worked well , interesting play of textures & color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barry, Thank you for your comments! I appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. My favorites are 1 through 4 and the bird with multicolored highlights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, Thank you for your comments! I like bird with the multicolored highlights too. I googled the types of birds in DC, but didn't see a picture that matched the bird in the fountain. I've seen the other little sparrow birds before, but not the multicolored bird.

      Delete
  5. I most like the fourth one, not sure but maybe that's another one of the fountain. Compelling to me in that shot is the geometry that's emphasized by the change in colors. The framing enhances the change in shades. I also like the one looking down on the metro station...but in color, not the B&W. Perhaps it's my screen but some shots appear a shade (hah!) over exposed. Or, that's the risk of shooting at high noon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, Thank you for your comments. I am glad you like the fountain. The worker bees had not finished cleaning the fountain before I took the picture. My best guess is the green tint is a tinge of mold. I don't doubt that some of the shots are overexposed. I tried taking a few intentionally darker at minus something on the meter (for example, the decorative cabbage in 5 & 6 and the NGA sculpture in 9 & 10) to compensate for the sun. I was indoors at the Metro so I have no excuse there. I will keep working on it.

      Delete
  6. I like your angle on the views of the silver tree. I've tried to photograph it before, and not come up with a compelling view like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia and thank you! It is an unusual sculpture of a tree. If aliens land one day and that's the only tree standing, they will certainly wonder what we were up to (ha*ha).

      Delete
  7. I love the images of the little birds and ducks! Wonderful images of wildlife in the Mall. The image of Navy Band is magnificent. Very interesting the color and B&W: some I like better in B&W like the one at the Metro Station. Others I like much more the color version like #1 the pumpkin with the tower bldg in the background.
    See you tomorrow for the Fall Equinox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosalinda, Thank you for your comments. I greatly appreciate it. I hope we see some wildlife on the Mall in the morning too. See you at sunrise!

      Delete
  8. What a great group of shots. I am especially partial to color and B+W comparisons. And what great convo - thanks for getting the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete