Thursday, September 28, 2017

Buildings in the Big Apple -- the old and the new

Hello everyone,

I spent the last few days in the Big Apple and wanted to share a few photos. This was my first trip to NYC after becoming a photo enthusiast almost two years ago. I knew I would face some of the same challenges that I face taking photos in DC, but I did not anticipate how the narrower streets would affect the sun on the buildings. It took me close to two days to get the hang of taking photos of everyday buildings with sun on the upper portion and shadow on the bottom portion. (I found the 45 degree angle to work wonders in that regard.)

There are so many themes that can grow out of a few days of "shooting" and seeing the NYC sites. It dawned on me today that had I taken the photos, I could have created the theme, Photo Enthusiasts in the Big Apple, especially since U.S. Mailboxes seemed to be popular tripods at dusk and on any given block and in any given building, there was someone taking a photo of something.

For the blog, I would like to share a few photos NYC building exteriors, the juxtaposition of the old and the new.

Enjoy the photos. See everyone in class tomorrow!











6 comments:

  1. Looks like very inviting digs there at the Soldiers & Sailors...I like the blue hour for the Phantom shot, the canted angle and rhythm of the bldgs. on diagonal, opening image followed with "old" detail, and appreciate your comments about the process of realizing how to see there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, Thanks so much for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, especially the Phantom shot (my sister, brother-in-law, and I saw the play while we were in the Big Apple) and the Soldiers & Sailors...shot. It was a good place to land too.

      Delete
  2. You caught some wonderful reflections on the modern buildings, and I like the detail on the Art Deco decorations on some of the older ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia, Thank you for your comments. The Art Deco is the Chrysler Building. I am glad you like the reflections too. They were tricky and I was glad to capture a few clearly.

      Delete
  3. Georgette,
    I'm going on a photo trip to NYC at the end of the month, and your photos are an inspiration to me. I especially liked the abstractions of numbers 1, 3, and 5 - 7. I loved your angled take on the decorative element on the Chrysler Building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Georgette, I love taking photos in New York, i like these especially the angles on 4 5 and 6.

    ReplyDelete